South Dakota’s governor signed HB 1231 into law on 23 March 2023. The law allows an adult adopted person (age 18) to obtain their original birth certificate upon written request and proof of identification.
According to Adoptees United, the state previously required a court process for the release of adoption records.
- To read House Bill 1231, click here.
- To see House Bill 1231’s progress, click here.
- For information about sealed adoption records access and non-identifying information in South Dakota, click here.
- For information on ordering South Dakota vital records, click here.
- “Gov. Noem Signs Bills into Law,” News.SD.gov, press release, 23 March 2023.
- House Bill 1231, Enrolled, 2023 South Dakota Legislature (https://sdlegislature.gov/ : accessed 27 March 2023).
- “Adoptee Rights Legislation: States, South Dakota,” Adoptees United (https://adopteesunited.org/legislation/state/#sd : accessed 27 March 2023.